Last updated on June 6th, 2022 at 07:58 pm
Flat feet are caused by a lot of conditions such as arthritis, obesity, and injuries. Flat feet cause a lot of issues, and some of them include difficulty in running and pain in the ankles. Because of these issues, people with flat feet cannot become military personnel.
Thus, there is a need to find a cure for these special conditions. One of the things that can help to cure flat feet is shoe modifications. So, there is a need to know the categories of shoes that can cure this particular condition.
To know the shoes that will aid the curing process of flat feet, we also need to provide an accurate answer to this popular question: Are Birkenstocks good for flat feet?
Well, here’s the quick answer: Birkenstocks are not specifically designed for flat feet, but they are often recommended as a comfortable option for people with this condition. They have a contoured footbed that can help support the arch, and the wide toe box provides ample room for the toes to spread out.
But keep reading to know the other most important information before you buy birkenstocks sandals for your flat feet.
Reasons Why People Have Flat Feet
To understand the meaning of flat feet better, we need to know why people have them. There are different reasons why people have flat feet, and some of these reasons include.
- Nerve problems
- Dislocated or broken bones
- Abnormality since childhood
Some of The Issues Caused by Flat Feet
Flat feet are signs of abnormalities, and it also causes some issues. Some of the issues include:
- Pain in the ankles
- Difficulty in running
- Makes walking hard
- It leads to shin splints and hammertoes
- Uneven distribution of the bodyweight
- Inability to stand for long hours
Due to all these issues listed above, a person with flat feet will not serve in the military.
What are the symptoms of Flat Feet?
A lot of people have no symptoms or signs associated with flat feet. Some people may experience foot pain – especially in the arch or heel area.
This pain may worsen when you engage in stressful activities. This is why people with flat feet are warned not to engage themselves in stressful activities. In some cases, swelling may also occur in the ankle.
Do Flat Feet Affect the Body Balance?
Uneven distribution of the bodyweight is one of the issues created by flat feet, and this can cause body imbalance. Body imbalance may also lead to problems like fatigue and breakdown. Transferring body weight is one of the things that people with flat feet cannot do.
How to Cure Flat Feet
Flexible flat feet can be cured, but other flat feet cannot be cured.
- Two important things that help to restore fallen arches are physical therapy and stretching exercises.
- Sometimes, you may also need injecting medication.
- Surgery is the last option, and it is usually required in critical cases.
- To reduce swelling, you can use ice and other similar methods.
- If you have flat feet, you must avoid sports like hockey, tennis, football, and basketball.
- It would help if you also avoided any other stressful activities. Participating in stressful activities will put more stress on the affected feet.
- Another way to cure flat feet is through Shoe Modifications. Now, the question we need to answer is, “are Birkenstocks good for flat feet.”
A Brief History of Birkenstocks
Before we proceed to the main discussion, we need to understand certain things about birkenstocks. The first thing we need to know is, what are Birkenstocks?
Birkenstocks sandals originated in Germany but later found their way to the global market. A designer and a dressmaker traveled to Germany in 1996, and there she saw these sandals. She loved the sandals because of the great comfort they provided.
So, when this designer returned to the United States of America (USA), she asked the owner of Birkenstocks sandals known as (Karl Birkenstocks) if he could import the sandal to the USA and introduce it there.
That was how Birkenstocks got its importance and also found its way to the global market. These sandals are well-known for their rubber and contoured cork footbeds. The rubber and contoured cork footbeds are some of the things that make birkenstocks sandals very comfortable.
The flower design is another reason why a lot of people fell in love with Birkenstocks. When Birkenstocks released its flower design in the seventies, it also attracted the attention of many people – especially those fond of nature.
Reasons why Birkenstocks are Comfortable
Birkenstocks sandals are one of the highly comfortable sandals in the world. We’ve also mentioned in the previous outline that comfortability is one of the things that brought them global recognition.
The secret behind the comfort of these sandals lies in their four layers:
- The bottom-most layer, which is also known as the base, is shock absorbent and textured.
- After the bottom layer is the double layers of moisture regulation, these two layers follow each other.
- And finally, there is come to the last (topmost) layer. This is the natural rubber and contoured cork footbed that supports cushioning and insulation.
Birkenstocks are highly comfortable because they are made with detailing and perfection.
Are Birkenstocks suitable for regular Feet?
Another popular question that a lot of people do ask again: are birkenstocks suitable for regular feet? Yes, these sandals are suitable for your feet because they will fit your feet perfectly and also provide the proper arch support for your feet. You can easily adjust the sandals a little loose or tight using the adjustable belt.
Birkenstocks comes with an adjustable belt that allows you to adjust the sandal to the correct position. The straps beside your toe should be tight a little to perfectly grip your toe. The other straps should be a little loose, as they will allow your heel to lift to its proper height.
Depending on your comfort level, you may decide to make the sandal a little loose or tight. But, it is not advisable to wear birkenstocks sandals with tight straps because it may reduce its comfort.
Are birkenstocks good for arch support?
Birkenstocks sandals are among the few sandals that provide proper arch support and keep the arch in the correct position. They are perfectly designed and manufactured to provide comfort and also to ensure good health. Your toe perfectly grips on the sandal because of the provided toe bar.
Some of the health benefits of birkenstocks include:
- A better stability
- A perfect balance
- Reliable arch support
- Ensures proper weight distribution
- Ensure the perfect alignment of legs and spines.
As a result of all the health benefits mentioned above, we can boldly say that these sandals are perfect for arch support.
Are birkenstocks good for flat feet?
Now that we have explained some basic things you need to know about flat feet and Birkenstocks. We can now proceed to our main discussion: Are birkenstocks good for flat feet?
As we have mentioned earlier, flexible flat feet are curable but not curable if otherwise. We also mentioned that shoe modification is one of the things that cure flat feet. The health benefits of birkenstocks have also shown that it is one of the few sandals that can aid the curing procedure of a fallen arch.
So, people with flexible flat feet can wear birkenstocks. It is perfect for flat feet because it will help get the feet back to their proper shape.
Those who have rigid flat feet should not wear birkenstocks sandals because they are not suitable for them. It has high arch support, which may cause them more pain in their feet than comfort.
How do you wear your Birkenstocks?
If this is your first time using Birkenstocks, you may still find it challenging to wear them properly. The following methods below will guide you on how to wear them properly.
- The first thing you need to do is to unhook the straps. To loosen the cork easily, you have to bend the Birkenstocks.
- After you have unhooked the straps, you will place your feet in the sandals. Ensure that you place your feet in the right place: the heel into the heel cup.
- The next thing is to buckle your sandals. Ensure that the straps are not too tight.
- The next thing to do after buckling your sandals is to go for a walk. Walk around your yard and see if the sandals are comfortable.
NOTE: If you want to feel more comfortable in Birkenstock, you need to buy the correct size. You may end up blaming yourself if you buy the wrong size. To avoid buying the wrong size, you need to measure your feet using a Brannock device.
How to get Better Comfort in your Birkenstocks?
Some essential tips can help you get a better comfort in your Birkenstocks, and they are:
- Ensure that you leave some space between the strap and your foot when strapping in. This will allow your finger to wiggle.
- It will help if you prevent your feet from touching the footbed when walking.
- Wear your Birkenstocks sandals for at least 35-45 minutes every day to break in properly.
- Reduce the time frame of wearing the sandals if you feel pains in your feet.
- If your feet do not hurt you again, you can start increasing the time frame of wearing the sandals.
If you follow these tips accordingly, you won’t have any problem wearing your sandals, and you will also get better comfort. The sandals will also be able to correct your flat feet.
Are Birkenstocks suitable for Long-Distance walks?
Since we have discussed Birkenstocks and their several benefits, we also need to know if you can wear them for long-distance walks. Will you get the same result if you wear it for long-distance walks?
Yes, you will also get the same result. No matter how long you wear it, the cork footbed will make you feel like your feet are on a cushion. You can wear them for long-distance walking in cities, and your feet will remain comfortable.
NOTE: Do not try climbing on mountains with your Birkenstocks sandals; it is not advisable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it advisable to use birkenstocks for rigid flat feet?
No. The arch support may be too high, and this will cause you more pain.
Mention one common symptom of flat foot.
One common symptom of flat feet is foot pain – especially in the arch or heel area.
Flat feet are signs of abnormalities that cause different issues. There are several ways to cure flexible flat feet, but rigid flat feet are incurable. One of the things that can aid the flexible flat feet curing process is Shoe Modifications.
Shoe modifications will help to restore the feet to their proper shape. But, you cannot choose any footwear for this process.
To know the suitable footwear for the flat feet curing process, one question arises: Are birkenstocks good for flat feet?
We have explained everything you need to know about this question in this article.
- Birkenstock history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkenstock
- Health benefits of birkenstocks https://footsensation.ca/blog/2019/06/24/7-benefits-of-wearing-birkenstocks-in-the-summer/
Hello, I’m Kristin, the founder and main author of footwearsfact.com. I’ve been working as a footwear designer and have built a keen interest in different footwear problems, suggestions, and designing. I hope I’ll be able to serve your needs with my skillful team member.